Monday, December 10, 2007

I have a problem...

Not really, but I try to tie the title to the lesson. :-)

In this week's class, we discussed how to use e-Learning to promote problem solving skills. As always, I compare what our department produces with what I'm studying about in class, and we seem to do a good job of this. We include scenarios in our e-Learning courses and the scenarios are tied to the job. We don't follow some of the principles mentioned in this chapter, such as using job experts and seeing how they would solve a particular problem, or promoting learner awareness of problem solving actions and skills. The latter is done with some of our other training in which they are provided with flow charts to help document a process or procedure, but it doesn't exist in our e-Learning. I know that our audience typically doesn't have good metacognitive skills, but I think part of the reason is the rushed timeframe for our training. Sometimes, our team members are placed before a computer and told to complete x hours of training in a day. By flying through the course and skimming over the examples, learning isn't really taking place. I wonder if metacognitive skills on the job are influenced by the work culture. We can each have our own standards, but if they are met with apathy by coworkers and supervisors, do we still pursue them as strongly?

No comments: